United Way of Charlotte County is recruiting volunteers for the 2022 tax season. Volunteering for the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is a fun and easy way to help others in our community. You don’t need to be a numbers-person to help, either! The software (a partnership between Tax-Slayer and the IRS) does all of the heavy lifting. Over 85% of our volunteers have had no prior experience in tax prep.
Trained volunteer tax preparers will assist clients by preparing simple tax returns. Our volunteers help working individuals and families keep their hard-earned money. All volunteers receive FREE comprehensive training and certification in partnership with the IRS. No experience is necessary. In addition, several specific training sessions will take place beginning in December through late January prior to the kickoff of the 2022 tax season. Volunteers are covered under the Volunteer Protection Act and are not accountable for tax returns filed to the IRS.
Safety is a top priority for United Way of Charlotte County. Face masks are recommended on-site.
We are offering traditional in-person tax preparation appointments as well as our VITA Valet service. With VITA Valet, clients drop off all needed documents and our experienced volunteers prepare the tax returns from home on their own time.
We are seeking volunteers for the following positions:
- Appointment Setters make phone calls to clients to schedule their time slot.
- Greeters welcome VITA clients to the site and ensure that they are prepared with all required documentation to meet with the tax preparer.
- Document Scanners collect required documentation from VITA Valet clients and scan them electronically for our tax preparers.
- Tax Preparers help individuals and families prepare their tax returns and ensure all eligible taxpayers receive their qualifying tax credits.
- Site Coordinators/Quality Reviewers manage the operations of the United Way VITA site, including volunteer staff and quality control.
These roles contribute to families’ financial stability every year. Behind every return there is a story. Volunteers hear these stories and experience first-hand how they are making a difference every time they volunteer.
Get involved and help us make an impact on Charlotte County!
For more information on VITA volunteer opportunities, contact Nadia Demyanovskiy at VITA@unitedwayccfl.org or 941-627-3539.
Do you have tax questions or need help with your tax return? Click here to get connected to VITA!
Do you want more information on the impact United Way of Charlotte County has with our VITA program? Click here to read all about it!