United Way of Charlotte County believes that part of Living United means giving back to our community. A tangible way to make a positive change in Charlotte County is through volunteering.
We have volunteer opportunities throughout the year for the following:
Make a difference this tax season by serving as a VITA volunteer! We offer flexible hours — typically four to five hours per week from February through April — and no previous experience is required. Our volunteers receive free, specialized training and can serve in a variety of roles, including greeter, tax preparer, and quality reviewer.
Through the VITA program, you can help hard-working individuals and families in our community take advantage of every credit and deduction they qualify for and reinvest their refunds back into Charlotte County.
Contact us at 941-627-3539 for more information or complete the volunteer application below.
- Basic computer proficiency
- Willingness to work with diverse populations
- Ability to successfully complete IRS tax law and e-file training and certification program (tax preparers and quality reviewers only)
EARLY CHILDHOOD LITERACY
In-School Charlotte County Public School Volunteer Tutor Opportunities
Charlotte County Public Schools
Kim Amontree, email@example.com, 941-456-8501
After-school Reading Mentor Opportunities
Boys & Girls Clubs of Charlotte County at the Family Services Center
21450 Gibralter, Port Charlotte
Lynn Dorler, 941-743-1507, firstname.lastname@example.org
YMCA of Southwest Florida
Kristen Szych, 942-586-9889, KSzych@ymcaswfl.org
- YMCA at Cooper Street - serves Sallie Jones Elementary School, East Elementary School, and Deep Creek Elementary School, 650 Mary St, Punta Gorda
- YMCA at Neil Armstrong Elementary, 22100 Breezeswept Ave, Port Charlotte
- YMCA at Peace River Elementary, 4070 Beaver Ln, Port Charlotte
- Franz Ross YMCA - serves Meadow Park Elementary School, 19333 Quesada Ave, Port Charlotte
One-Time Volunteer Opportunities
If you would like to be included in emails for these opportunities, please submit your contact information in the form below.
- Stuff and deliver Kindergarten Readiness bags (February each year)
- Volunteer at a Pop-Up Neighbor Through Laundry event
- Volunteer at Pop-Up Neighbor events
- Volunteer for Suncoast Remake Learning Days April 27 at the Family Services Center, or other family events April 21- April 30, 2023
Donate new books to:
- Kids Thrive families (infant, toddler, & preschool) (drop off at UWCC office)
- Lizzy the Literacy bus (school-age) (drop off at Boys & Girls Clubs)
Contribute financially to United Way of Charlotte County:
- Gift cards for Kids Thrive Circle of Parents (drop off at UWCC office)
- Designated donation to Charlotte County Grade-Level Reading efforts
United Way of Charlotte County has an ongoing opportunity for office volunteers. This position would assist United Way staff with general office duties such as data entry, answering phones, assistance with mailings, help with filing and sorting of documents, light work in Microsoft Office programs, etc. Those that are interested in fundraising activities can also assist with this process. This position is flexible, at your convenience.
Day of Caring is an annual event that celebrates volunteerism by bringing together teams from local businesses, churches, families, and civic groups to create a positive impact on their community. Projects range anywhere from painting, landscaping, stuffing bags, cleaning, sorting, organizing, assembling, building, writing, encouraging and so much more.
If you are interested in being a volunteer at the 2023 Day of Caring, complete the form below to be placed on our Volunteer Email List.
VOLUNTEER PANEL MEMBER
These volunteer panels determine how United Way of Charlotte County (UWCC) allocates local charitable dollars to break the cycle of poverty for Charlotte County residents.
UWCC uses volunteers to review grant requests, tour partner agencies, and make recommendations to the Community Impact Committee.
You do not need any grant reviewing or non-profit experience to volunteer. If you would like to learn more about local health and human service programs, or how United Way dollars are being spent, this is a perfect way to get involved!
If you are interested in a different type of volunteer opportunity, let us know and we will connect you with an appropriate organization in Charlotte County.
Complete this form to get connected to the right volunteer opportunity for YOU!